Monday, June 21, 2010

My Father's Day Gift

My husband does not like to shop.  I repeat, my husband DOES NOT like to shop.  Actually a more appropriate phrase would be, my husband DOES NOT like to spend money on clothes.  Period.  When we were dating and he was trying to win me over, he let me go into his closet and get rid of some of his clothes, but it was painful and he still talks about that traumatic day.  I could go on, but I won't because I'm pretty sure he doesn't want me talking about his clothes situation on this blog.  To make a LONG story short, you can often find me dressed up and him dressed down (besides for work of course).  We have lots of pictures where I'm wearing a skirt and blouse and he's wearing a free t-shirt and basketball shorts.  Actually that would be his signature look, free t-shirt, basketball shorts, and flip flops.  Oh boy.  His casual attire needs some major work, so for Father's Day I made him a couple of style boards and I will be finding something similar to both of these looks soon.  He surprisingly agreed and said he'd even like to help me look (which is code for saying, I want to make sure you spend the most minimal amount possible).  Either way, I'm just excited he's letting me get him some new casual clothes.  He's overdue.  My husband is always telling me that if money wasn't an object he'd have great style.  Maybe one day we'll find out! 

So tell me, does your significant other dress better then you?  Does he give you style advice?  Do you have to dress him?  Does he like to shop?  I love hearing how each man is different.
father's day
   
casual

I threw in the accessories to complete the look, which my husband made sure let me know he didn't need any accessories.  He's not crazy about the shoes in the first look, but I'll see what I can do to win him over. 

By the way, stay tuned for Thursday when Paul gets his Father's Day Makeover!  I can't wait....

7 comments:

Carina said...

My husband HATES to shop and WILL NOT.

He is also a Terrible Dresser. Yes, capitalized.

I have tried, and tried, and tried, but the boy simply does not have a stylish bone in his body. I've replaced his entire wardrobe with really great pieces and he still looks sad. He'll find the two things in the closet that don't go together and put them together. He'll refuse to wear outfits I put together. He'll refuse to wear perfectly nice clothes because of some ridiculous reason (No v-necks?)

His go-to uniform is a t-shirt and denim shorts. I CANNOT abide denim shorts--or shorts on men period, but give me a break with the denim shorts, gah.

I've just kind of given up, to tell you the truth. There's no fixing him.

Chelsea said...

Girl, I know you feel my pain because I used to complain about my boyfriend's style at work, and I just so happened to marry that boyfriend.

Trust me, if I was putting together clothes that I wanted him to wear, it would look totally different then what I picked out, but it's all about the baby steps. His main problem is he wants to wear X-Large clothes when he's NOT an X-Large man!

Tiffany Fackrell said...

David let's me put whatever i want on him. and he likes to shop if he knows we are getting him new clothes. now if he is with me and I am shopping for myself or the kids, forget about it, he HATES it! He is always asking if he looks good or if this or that would look good. He does have a little problem matching shirts to all of his plaid shorts...it is pretty funny sometimes, now he just knows to ask me if they go, or stick with the plain shirts altogether! He will admit though, that he dresses WAY better now then when he was single, HA! Also I am the tight wad in the family, funny right!

tharker said...

Spencer's style could be summed up in two words. Polos. and Khakis. That's it.

I'm not even kidding when I say that he has at least 17 polo shirts. I used to like them, but now...I'm over it ;)

Love that Kyle rocks the free t-shirts!

Madeline said...

My husband has made great strides in the past year. When he did his student teaching he had to wear a tie every day. He started taking risks or having me help him take risks. So I am not worried about his professional wardrobe, but his casual wardrobe is still a bit of a mess. He puts everything with plaid shorts and insists on trying to wear wrinkly short sleeve button ups.

Oh well, he looks so much better than he did 4 years ago when we got married!

Boyce Family said...

My husband is not in the norm. He LOVES to shop, more than I do actually. I'm the cheap one in our relationship. I hate spending $40 on a pair of shoes and he will spend $100 on a pair of shoes. I like to go shopping with him because he helps keep me hip and challenges me to venture out of my comfort zone.

Baguleys said...

Mike is to good of a shopper, i have to make sure he doesn't spend too much. He will pick things out for me and does a great job. He has great style, well i hope he did manage a buckle for a while.